If you’re looking for make-ahead breakfast ideas, we’ve got 60 recipes you’ll love!
The jury is still out over the relationship between eating breakfast and weight loss, but the benefits of fueling your body first thing in the morning can’t be denied. Eating a breakfast full of healthy carbs, lean proteins, and good-for-you fats boost your concentration and memory and increases your energy. It also decreases feelings of hunger and cravings, making you less likely to reach for snacks loaded with empty calories throughout the day.
Unfortunately, while many of us know we should start our day with a proper breakfast, finding the time to prepare something healthy can be challenging. If you’re constantly running late and/or have small children who require a lot of your time in the mornings, you’re unlikely to whip up an egg-white omelet for yourself. But with a selection of make-ahead breakfast ideas to draw from, you can plan ahead so you have grab-and-go options to keep yourself fuelled and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Planning and preparation is everything when it comes to eating healthy and losing weight, and we’re excited to share our best breakfast meal prep tips and make-ahead breakfast ideas!
6 Breakfast Meal Prep Tips
1. Make it part of your weekly schedule Pick a day/time each week to sit down and plan your meals for the following 7 days. Find a day/time when you can commit to creating your weekly meal plan, and then physically schedule it into your calendar so that you don’t forget. It will eventually become a habit, and you will be amazed at how much time 20 minutes of upfront planning can save you over the course of a week!
2. Choose recipes with common ingredients to avoid food waste This may take a little practice but will help reduce food waste and decrease your grocery bill over time. For example, if strawberries are on sale this week, you can meal prep strawberry yogurt parfaits, strawberry smoothie bags, and strawberry chia seed pudding to mix things up a bit so you don’t get bored.
3. Prep once a week In addition to designating a day and time to create your weekly meal plan and grocery shopping lists, set aside a block of time to hit the grocery store and get all of your food prep done. I suggest doing this on a Sunday so you free up time throughout the week. It may sound like a big feat, but if you don’t have the time or interest to spend hours in the kitchen each week, this will be a great time saver!
4. Use Mason Jars From overnight oats to chia pudding, to yogurt parfaits and more, mason jars are a great way to meal prep. They are easy to bring with you when you’re on-the-go and they’ll help keep your food fresh throughout the day.
5. Prep Smoothie Bags Smoothies are one of the best make-ahead breakfast ideas for weight loss, and you can enjoy them as a pre- or post-workout snack as well. You can pre-portion most smoothie ingredients into Ziplock bags and pop them into the freezer, and then all you need to do is throw everything into a blender, add liquid, and blend!
6. Hard-Boiled Eggs Eggs are a great source of protein, and they make the perfect snack or addition to your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Hard boil a bunch of eggs one day so you have them on hand for the week ahead.
60 Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss
From breakfast casseroles, bowls, and sandwiches, to overnight oats, smoothies, and muffins, these make-ahead breakfast ideas are delicious, filling, and easy to prepare, and with the right meal prep containers, you can store them in the fridge or freezer so you can enjoy them on-the-go!
Eating a balanced breakfast full of healthy carbs, lean proteins, and good-for-you fats is important not just in managing hunger and food cravings, but also in ensuring your body has the fuel it needs to function, both physically and mentally. I hope this collection of make-ahead breakfast ideas inspire you to plan and prepare so you always have healthy, grab-and-go breakfast options at the ready!